Monday, February 9, 2009

Food Storage Pizza & Breadsticks


Things have been busy for me the past several months, but I have been busy trying out new food storage recipes and I wanted to share them with you. The recipe for the above pizza came from a great site that I just happened upon by chance. I would highly recommend you visit the site - http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/ - for some other great food storage recipes and ideas.


Now, back to the pizza. Now that I have tried this recipe, I can't purchase another pre-made pizza. My oldest, who is 11, loves this pizza and will pretty much make it by himself. I do have to watch him a bit with the yeast, because he was adding too much and we had a huge bowl full of dough. It was great! I give him a hard time about it, but if he and my 7 year old are so excited about helping with cooking and learning how to use food storage, I can't help but smile. :)


This recipe is so versatile, it can be used for 2 of the above pizzas, or one pan of breadsticks. I have used 100% whole white wheat, as well as unbleached all purpose flour to make these. Each time we make pizza, we don't have any leftovers - unless we make 3 pizzas. The breadsticks are just as good. Here is how I make my pizza and breadsticks - let me know if you try it and how you like it.


Pizza & Breadstick Recipe (will make one very thick pizza or pan of breadsticks, or you can use this recipe in two pans)

2 1/2 C. Medium Hot Water
6 tsp. SAF Instant Yeast or 2 Tbsp regular yeast
2 Tbsp. Sugar
3 Tbsp. Oil
1 tsp. Salt
6 C. Flour (you can do half all-purpose and half white wheat or 100% whole wheat)
Slice of Butter (about 1/4 of a Tbsp for each pan)


Directions:

1. Pour medium hot water in mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and allow to dissolve.
2. Add sugar, salt, and oil. Gradually add approximately 6 cups of flour. (I like to add about a 1/4 of a cup of parmesian or mozarella cheese to the dough at this time).
3. Place your cookie sheet(s) in oven as it is heating to 400 degrees. Remove pans when pre-heated and drop your slice of butter onto the pan and roll it around to coat the entire pan.
4. Place dough on cookie sheet and press to fill pan, make sure butter gets on top of the dough -(I just spread it out a bit and then flip it over).
5. Allow to double in size (About 10-15 minutes)
6. When making breadsticks I sprinkle mozarella cheese and garlic on the top before baking.
7. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until desired browning is accomplished.
8. Cut into strips or top with favorite pizza toppings.
9. Bake pizza for 10 minutes - then ENJOY!





No comments:

Post a Comment