Sunday, October 5, 2008

French Toast Bake

Today I put a twist on one of my favorite breakfast recipes, French Toast Bake, by using powdered eggs. I made this new version, along side one that was made from regular eggs, and my kids liked the one made with powdered eggs the best! What a shock!

I originally made up this recipe because it took so much time in the kitchen to make French Toast and I couldn't eliminate it as a breakfast option since it is one of the kids favorites. So - French Toast Bake was born. I adapted my recipe to be able to make it from food storage.

Here is the recipe:

10 eggs (20 tbsp of whole powdered eggs and 40 tbsp of water, mixed)
24oz loaf of bread, toasted
1/3 cup of milk (you can use the equivalent of powdered milk)
1 tbsp vanilla or almond extract
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired

In a medium sized bowl, completely mix together your egg powder and the water, being sure to press out any lumps. Add the milk and vanilla or almond to the eggs and stir until mixed. Slowly stir the eggs/milk as you add each of the spices. Mix in the nuts at this time if desired. Set this mixture aside and tear
the slices of toast into small pieces, placing them in a 3 quart casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over the broken bread and then carefully mix to spread the liquid over all the bread. Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake in the oven, preheated to 400*, for 45 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Top with syrup or a sprinkling of powdered sugar.

I have heard that if this type of casserole is made the night before, and set in the fridge, the bread will soak up the liquid and spices much more. I have not been able to plan that far ahead and try it out yet, but one day I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment